Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:50:55 +1000
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Please Help Me With New Hard Drive Install

Remember, the Libretto 100/110 laptops have TWO modes of hibernation. The first
is the operating system specific hibernation - Windows 2000 for instance
hibernates into c:\hiberfil.sys by default. In such a case, yes you are
correct, there is no overwriting sectors around the 8GB boundary as Windows
2000 (and in fact you don't need to leave any space in any particular location
on the drive as long as the file exists in C and is taking up that space).

Unfortunately, being a somewhat older machine, the Libretto 100/110 on occasions
will perform an "old style" BIOS hibernation, which writes at the 1010-1040
cylinder area (actually somewhat inside that area, can't remember the exact
figures). Situations where it will do so include, if the processor begins to
overheat or if the battery starts to die (and for whatever reason the operating
system doesn't intercept this and do something about it first). In fact, if the
laptop is in suspend and the battery falls below a certain BIOS-encoded
threshold, it will come back to life (but not to the point of restarting the
OS), perform a BIOS hibernation then turn itself off. The Libretto BIOS doesn't
bother notifying the operating system in such cases (or if it does, never gives
the operating system a chance to respond), it just performs the hibernation.
Note that these situations are very rare, especially if you use your Libretto
carefully, which is why some people have been able to get away without worrying
about this but there is a non-zero chance of it happening.

People on this list (and one person I know off the list) have in the past tried
doing things like zeroing out all the sectors around the 8GB mark or putting
partitions there and filling them with known data then performing a BIOS
hibernation. Those sectors do get overwritten when the laptop hibernates (in
fact that's how the exact sectors were determined - someone zero'd out a large
area around the 8GB mark, hibernated then looked for where the run of zeros got
overwritten).

I can see you're not an easy man to convince, the only thing I can say with
respect to that is to perform the test yourself. If you already have Win2k
installed though I'm not sure how you'd force a BIOS hibernation ... perhaps
turning off all Win2k power management and running down the battery might be
the easiest way (but then I think the BIOS suspend kicks in first so you've got
to wait for the laptop to drop battery a bit more, come out of BIOS suspend,
then do its BIOS hibernation).

I haven't looked too far back in the archives but in the recent past (back to
around 2002), here are a few posts on the topic:
http://www.technoir.org/libretto/list/2002/msg02785.html
http://www.technoir.org/libretto/list/2002/msg01583.html
http://www.technoir.org/libretto/list/2002/msg00781.html
http://www.technoir.org/libretto/list/2002/msg00476.html

- Raymond

Quoting John Musielewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:01:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: John Musielewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Please Help Me With New Hard Drive Install
>
> an ever better test to to write data to the sectors
> and have the libby hibernate. surprize surprize, its
> not being over written!! my my where ever could the
> bios be  writing hmmm?

<snip>