Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:44:16 -0800 (PST)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PC World Libretto at 999 VAT; Just back from Tokyo - my notes

> PC World in the UK are stocking the libretto at £999 including VAT, which
> struck me as a fairly good deal.
>
> I do wonder if this signals that either stock is being dumped in the UK, or

  I'm sure they're getting ready to introduce another Libretto, or discontinue
the model after about a year out.  That's what most companies do, esp. before a
new model is released - that way, they can clear their inventory of all stock.

  Anyways, back from TOkyo and still unpacking....

  In Tokyo, Sofmap Akihabara just outside the JR station had used U100 models
for 169,000 Yen (about $1500usd) on regular price, so that's still high for
this model.  I'm sure if I caught their sales, it would have been even cheaper.
 Still, after looking at them, I'm not convinced the U100 models are ideal for
any purpose - the Fujitsu Loox and the Sony T series are still much more
'usable' in form factor, keyboard layout and design.  When I saw and used them
in Tokyo, I personally would have picked one of these two rather than the
Libretto (keyboard & screen far too small & not all-in-one optical drive
design).  The Fujitsu keyboard is particularly crisp and responsive to touch
typing, and was my favorite (not counting the fact that it has a TV tuner,
too!).  You can buy all three in the USA at this time from the makers.

   Aside from that, Sony TR2A series were down to 99,000 ($1000), which is
good, but you can get the same off ebay.com here in the USA.  Sony U1/U3 series
(Crusoe models) were around the $500-600 price range, but too slow to be worth
buying at that price.

   Interestingly, the prices of notebooks have dropped so fast in the USA (eg.
$199 for a new Toshiba notebook at Microcenter.com the friday after
thanksgiving this year; $500 average new notebook most stores), it's simply not
even worth buying a notebook in Tokyo anymore.  I simply didn't see anything
that was a deal or steal, and in fact, most were ripoffs at 2-4x the price of a
USA notebook of the same model!  (eg. Sony FS series here for $1000-1100; in
Japan $2300+ for the low end models!)

    Given the rapid internationalization of product distribution, you really,
really had to push hard to find any deals at all that was worth purchasing in
Tokyo vs. at home imported (esp. since almost everything there can be bought
outside Japan).  Even if you can't find it at home, Yahoo Auctions Japan
typically has most products far cheaper.  eg. Casio XD-470 dictionary for
130,000 Yen in most stores; 68,000 Yen new on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

    The only happy place?  Akihabara station facing Yodabashi Akiba, they had a
new 99 yen store open there.  Given the stronger dollar, that's about 83 yen to
buy something that would normally cost 99 yen.  Best bargin I found?  99 yen
mini pliers (hey, i needed one anyways).  You can also find drinks, gift bags,
and other useful nicnacks there for 99 yen.

adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/