Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 01:22:55 +0100
From: Richard Mittendorfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Toshiba 100GB HD review

Also sprach Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:35:10
-0800):
> At 10:39 AM 28/01/2006 -0800, you wrote:
> >Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:38:09 +0100
> >From: Richard Mittendorfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: [LIB] Toshiba 100GB HD review
> >
> >Also sprach John Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:35:11
> >-0800):
> > > Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:31:38 -0800
> > > From: John Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Subject: RE: [LIB] Toshiba 100GB HD review
[...]
> > > I am almost certain I understood the 128GB limitation to be
> > > hardware, not  software, so in that case the operating system,
> > > linux as well as
> >
> >Both i think.
>
> Well sorta ... it's a firmware and software limitation but not
> actually a  hardware limitation (such as a lack of bus lines) :-)

see. I wasn't sure, since ATA-6 looks more like a protcol change, but..

> Having said that AFAIK no-one has modded the firmware (in this case,
> probably the BIOS and IDE controller) to handle the ATA limit so the
> distinction is somewhat academic.

.. I wouldn't be surprised if 1x0ct's crappy ide controller (isa? it
can't even do DMA) will just say "no thanks" to these drives. However
I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :-)

> ><snip>
> >
> >So I doubt, the 1x0ct will work with this drives. AFAIK there were
> >interface changes which affect the whole IDE interface (hw).
>
> You could always do something silly like use a SATA PCMCIA card then
> run  wires back to the hard drive bay and somehow get a HDD and
> connector to fit  into the original HDD bay (should be possible with
> some creative  plasticwork) ... then figure out how to boot the
> Libretto off the SATA  PCMCIA card :-)

..and use a very very tiny cfcard(to-ide-adaptor) to boot from? Sounds
reasonable. Wouldn't a raid0 setup with 6 or even 10 of those 0,85 inch
drives be fun? ;-)

sl ritch