Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:40:07 -0800 (PST)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Asus reveals $190 mini notebook

Cute, but eeepc is the modern version of a Libretto with a flash drive.

   I'd pick one up if I only needed a basic Linux box, but w/o full Vista/XP
support, it's hard to add things like printers, drivers, etc. for other
devices.  They're in the works for the Vista version I hear.

   That said, what do you do if you're just a beginner with Linux and trying to
hook up one of those latest all-in-one printers from Canon or Epson?!?  I'm
sure this point will drive many early adopters nuts =P

   In any case, on the flip side, there's the main laptop competitor - the
Nokia N95 and other PDA phones.

   These phones are getting so powerful, they can handle the basics of web
surfing, office document editing, emailing through POP/IMAP, web browsing over
cellular and WiFi, and taking TV quality movies and high-res photos ... along
with the usual MP3/MP4 playback.

   At some point, these phone manufacturers will have to talk with the laptop
makers and come up with something <1lbs and portable.  eeePC is nice, but still
2lbs (you'd think after 10+ years after the Libretto, we'd be down to 1/2lbs
mini-notebooks by now...).

  Something I'm saving up for right now.... N95 8GB =)

  Anyways, the Fujitsu mini-notebook with swivel screen and touch-screen input
is my alternative vs. the eeePC. That one's going for $999 but it does run
Vista, and the touch-screen does make for a nice tablet entry portable & ebook
reader.

  The eeePC in comparison is kinda of funny - with Black Friday 2006 Toshiba
notebooks selling for $199 at Microcenter (and sure to be repeated this year),
why would I want to spend $199 on a 2lbs mini that can't store much on the 4GB
flash HD?  (Yep, 4GB =[  Haven't seen one of those since the L50 days....)

  I think Asus is on the right track with their first attempt...although they
should have simply stuck in a 1.8" HD of at least 40GB right away instead of
the flash drive.  (downloads nowadays are simply far too big for 4gb, IMO....
especially all of those Nice 1080 HD Divx videos at http://stage6.divx.com/)

adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/