Hi,

I believe I've found a bug with this macro in Libtool.

When the current compiler is SGI MIPSpro CC v7.30 (this is a C++
compiler, BTW), using AC_CHECK_LIB with "main" as the function to look
for will never work. I.e.:

        AC_CHECK_LIB($libname, main)

..always gives a false result -- no matter the value of $libname -- as
the SGI CC compiler will complain with (snipped from config.log):

== snip start =================================

cc-1364 CC: ERROR File = configure, Line = 912
  The function "main" cannot be called or have its address taken.

  main()
  ^

1 error detected in the compilation of "conftest.c".
configure: failed program was:
#line 909 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

int main() {
main()
; return 0; }

== snip end ==================================

I tried patching it to use sin() instead, but that won't work either,
as the C++ compiler and/or linker want the function signature in the
testcode to match the actual signature.

I wrote a completely new math library check instead, which I of course
would be more than willing to submit as a replacement for
AC_CHECK_LIBM, if this sounds like a good idea.

If anyone of the libtool maintainers want to give it a look-over:

cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/export/cvsroot login
CVS password:    (use "cvs")
cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/export/cvsroot checkout conf-macros
more conf-macros/check_mathlib.m4

Regards,
Morten Eriksen