Actually I was calling AC_LIBTOOL_CXX from configure.in,
the documentation seems to suggest that I should:
                                       ...  To enable C++
support in libtool, use the `AC_LIBTOOL_CXX' macro in your
`configure.in' file.

I commented out that call, but it didn't help.  What did
fix the problem was to put AC_PROG_CXX *before* the call
to AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.  According to this comment in libtool.m4
it should not matter:

dnl If AC_PROG_CXX has already been expanded, run AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
dnl immediately, otherwise, hook it in at the end of AC_PROG_CXX.

But it will only work if PROG_CXX is called first.  From reading the
config.log before and after, it is apparent that the C++ configuration
is not done unless AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is called after.
Alexandre: you wondered what version I'm using, it is up to date
with the repository (and was never more than a day from an update).

boreas::/boreas/libtool (128)% cvs status libtool.m4
File: libtool.m4        Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.71.2.33
   Repository revision: 1.71.2.33       /home/cvs/libtool/libtool.m4,v
   Sticky Tag:          multi-language-branch (branch: 1.71.2)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

I'm using GNU m4 version 1.4, and CVS versions of automake and autoconf.
Could it be that GNU m4 isn't hooking the macro in properly here?:

AC_DEFUN(AC_PROG_LIBTOOL,[AC_REQUIRE([_AC_PROG_LIBTOOL])
dnl If AC_PROG_CXX has already been expanded, run AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
dnl immediately, otherwise, hook it in at the end of AC_PROG_CXX.
  AC_PROVIDE_IFELSE([AC_PROG_CXX],
    [AC_LIBTOOL_CXX],
    [define([AC_PROG_CXX], defn([AC_PROG_CXX])[AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
])])

I'm no M4 guru, but it looks right to me.   Any ideas?

PS:  I'd like to thank Alexandre and Ossama for helping me out
with this one, it certainly would have taken me much longer
to find this myself!

Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center
TEL: (630)789-0003 x. 238
FAX: (630)789-0127
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]