Anthony Green wrote:

 > I've been using a hacked version of libtool to build shared libraries
 > of java code in with gcj.  The one problem I had to work around is
 > that libtool insists on adding "-DPIC" to the compilation line.  gcj's
 > -D is different from gcc and g++.  My hack is to simply strip out the
 > "-D". However - now my tree contains a mix of java and c code and I
 > need to use -DPIC with gcc.

 > How do we change libtool to only use -DPIC where appropriate?

Well, the generated libtool script is close - you just need to
fix the pic_mode definition that is in the GCJ TAG section.

The following kludge seems to solve this problem:

mv libtool libtool.tmp && \
sed -e '/BEGIN LIBTOOL TAG CONFIG: GCJ/,/END LIBTOOL TAG CONFIG:
GCJ/s/-DPIC/-fPIC/' <libtool.tmp >libtool && chmod +x libtool

Of course the real fix involves fixing ltmain.sh, but that goes
beyond my ability to peer into the bowels of libtool.
--
        --Per Bothner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.bothner.com/per/