On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Unless someone shouts me down, then according to the principle of least surprise, I'm inclined to change the semantics to:

 -static       do not do any dynamic linking at all
 -lt-static    do not do any dynamic linking of libtool libraries

(We can keep -all-static as an alias to -static).

This seems like a particularly bad idea to me. What is the value of changing existing documented libtool behavior?

The main purpose of building a completely static program is to satisfy security or system bootstrap requirements (/usr partition not mounted). It is not always possible to build a completely static program. It is not usually desirable to build a completely static program. Completely static programs don't necessarily work properly when copied to a somewhat different processor type with the same OS, or a different kernel version.

Bob