On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Is that a mail-only typo? You used LD_FLAGS instead of LDFLAGS. But then, configure will most likely fail soon, before libtool is even involved -- the compiler will see -all-static and barf. There's been discussion about this on this list about Libtool-specific environment variables and -Xlinker stuff. However, I do not know a general approach to your setting. I'd just do configure LDFLAGS=-static make LDFLAGS=-all-static but that's obviously a hack.

A general solution to this problem is needed.

The only fool-proof solution is for autoconf to use libtool to execute its tests, however, libtool itself is dependent on autoconf so there is a seemingly unsolvable problem.

Bob