On Mon, 3 May 2010, Matěj  Týč wrote:

If I have understood correctly, the whole LTversion stuff has only one
purpose - to inform users what have they installed.

More specifically, it provides libtool with the information needed to produce a suitably numbered library to satisfy a purpose. As you say, libtool does not provide control over which versions of libraries are consumed in a link since only the current version in the linker search path, or the version indicated by a .la file, gets used.

I don't think that this makes libtool useless by any means.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn