I've been writing configure.ac scripts for a long time, and now,
unexpectedly, on a new Kubuntu 11.04 installation and on a Fedora 15
install, libtool not longer generates and installs shared objects. Same
scripts I've used before, different behavior.

Note: The configure.ac/Makefile.am in question DID install shared objects in
the past.

When I run configure, it states:

checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so

Upon running make install, I see:

test -z "/usr/local/lib" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/lib"
 /bin/bash ../libtool   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c   libbrahe.la
'/usr/local/lib'
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libbrahe.lai
/usr/local/lib/libbrahe.la
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libbrahe.a
/usr/local/lib/libbrahe.a
libtool: install: chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/libbrahe.a
libtool: install: ranlib /usr/local/lib/libbrahe.a

I've hunted up and down, to no avail, trying to figure out what's wrong. Did
something change in a recent update to autotools? My versions are:

libtool 2.2.6b
automake 1.11.1
autoconf 2.67

The actual library code can be downloaded from
http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/brahe/index.html Brahe Library