On Thu, 2013-09-19 at 15:58 -0400, Michael Young wrote:
> I'm trying to do a staged build/install of libgmp(xx) release 5.1.2.
>  This is
> part of an effort to develop a "general" build system (mostly bash
> scripts, make
> files, etc.) for toolchains I will be using.  I intend to use these
> scripts to
> build both native and cross-builds, depending on configuration /
> arguments, so
> using DESTDIR for prefixing the install tree is important.  Right now,
> I'm
> working on native builds on an Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit x86 machine;
> libtool
> version = 2.4.2.)

I can't help with the libtool issue but there are several build systems
out there that already have these issues solves such as the one I work
on:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html

which runs on Linux and can build cross compilers targeting the common
architectures and the cross compiler itself can run on linux, windows
and osx.

Cheers,

Richard