On 5/13/24 16:37, Karl Berry wrote:
     convince Automake to force libtool to link using the C++ compiler

When there are no C++ sources? Why? Just trying to understand ...
There are no C++ sources from my project, but there is a C++ compiler used for the overall build. As clarification, this is for oss-fuzz's clang ubsan build, which is an almost completely static build so there are no shared libraries to provide their dependencies by default.  When clang++ is enabled for ubsan, it adds additional dependency libraries (presumably -lubsan). The theory is that if linking is done using the same compiler then the dependency libraries brought in due the compiler mode will be applied automatically.
I'm sorry Bob, but I just don't know.  Maybe the just-released
libtool-2.5.0 alpha offers some new help?
I don't think so.
If there is some bug in or feature for Automake that would help, I'm
open to suggestions (and patches). It kind of sounds like more on the
libtool side? --sorry, karl.

Automake does have a critical bug in that for a target which only optionally has C++ sources, that target is always linked using C++. Without this issue, the trick of including an empty optional C++ source file in the build would work. But I do not want GraphicsMagick to require a C++ compiler.

I have been working to supply replacement's to Automake's target definitions, but it is very messy and not future safe.

Without support for this in Automake, I feel that there is too much effort, and future risk.

Bob

--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt