On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:28:15 -0700
Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sh...@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 01:16:46PM +0400, Igor Kuzmin wrote:
> > OK, so, with for-usb-linus kernel current results with different
> > controllers are:
> > NEC - works
> > Fresco Logic - fails with "ERROR Transfer event TRB DMA ptr not part of
> > current TD"
>
> Doesn't surprise me.  Fresco Logic host controllers are very "quirky".
> That message means either there's something wrong with the xHCI ring
> structure or the host controller is feeding SW bad data.  I'll take a
> look at your dmesg and see if I can spot the error.
>
> > Ivy Bridge - works, but there's another issue:
> > usb 4-2: new SuperSpeed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
> > usb 4-2: skipped 1 descriptor after endpoint
> > usb 4-2: skipped 1 descriptor after endpoint
> > usb 4-2: skipped 1 descriptor after endpoint
> > usb 4-2: skipped 1 descriptor after endpoint
> > usb 4-2: default language 0x0409
> > usb 4-2: udev 3, busnum 4, minor = 386
> > usb 4-2: New USB device found, idVendor=20f7, idProduct=3001
> > usb 4-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> > usb 4-2: Product: XIMEA
> > usb 4-2: Manufacturer: XIMEA
> > usb 4-2: usb_probe_device
> > usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> > usb 4-2: Successful Endpoint Configure command
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: Set SEL for device-initiated U1 failed.
>
> Have you watched with your bus analyzer to see if the Set SEL request
> completes?  Your USB 3.0 device needs to handle that request, even if it
> always NAKs the LGO_U1 and LGO_U2 link commands.
>
> If you have a Lecroy USB 3.0 analyzer, I also have one, so I could
> decode your bus dumps.

Sadly I don't have access to USB3 analyzer anymore, but I will try to
get bus dump later.

> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: adding 4-2:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)
> > hub 4-0:1.0: state 7 ports 4 chg 0000 evt 0004
> > hub 4-0:1.0: warm reset change on port 2
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: xiSample timed out on ep0out len=0/0
> > usb 4-2: Enable of device-initiated U1 failed.
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > usb 4-2: xiSample timed out on ep0out len=0/0
> > usb 4-2: Enable of device-initiated U1 failed.
> > usb 4-2: Successful evaluate context command
> > xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: WARN Event TRB for slot 2 ep 2 with no TDs
> > queued?
> >
> > The problem represents itself as hangs for a second or two during
> > certain operations. I haven't seen it before, with other kernels.
>
> The 3.5 kernel added USB 3.0 Link Power Management.  It's turned for all
> USB 3.0 devices.
>
> What do you mean by "hang"?  As in userspace hangs?  khubd hangs?

I'm not sure how to spot khubd hangs. It looked like pauses in program
execution, most likely spent in synchronous libusb calls.
"xiSample timed out on ep0out" message is probably the one describing
this "hang".