Mark McLoughlin wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 06:50 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:

 Thibgs which were dirt cheap become way more
expensive when they don't need to, this is a severe regression from a
library user standpoint.

        Just a small point on this ...

        Are you sure that's optimising for the right thing? What libvirt API is
so performance sensitive that a roundtrip on a unix domain socket would
be a problem?

        For example, even iterating the list of domain names is going to have a
negligible cost compared with loading libvirt from disk :-)

        However, the number of roundtrips to a management daemon *will* be an
issue where the daemon is remote. And we're going to have that whether
we use a daemon in the local case.

        i.e. even *if* daemon roundtrips turn out to be an issue for local
apps, we're going to have to fix that for the remote case anyway.

I am just speculating here, but it seems to me that the remote case is going to be the more common one for most users who also care about performance. So agreeing with Mark, that is where we really need to be focusing our attention...

--Hugh