[Moved to libvir-list. The original thread was on fedora-devel-list, starting here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-July/thread.html#00504]

Till Maas wrote:
On Di Juli 10 2007, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
Till Maas wrote:
The idea is imho great, but for me with qemu it does not work properly.
I'd really like to help out here.  Did you get any error messages?

The first problem is, that it seems to be a tool to create persisten virtual machines, e.g. virtual servers, but most of the time I only want to boot a live cd, e.g. a Fedora one. But virt-manager seems to demand an virtual HD drive. I only tested it twice or so, but it looked not promising.

The next version of virt-install will support this explicitly. I am reliably assured that it should work in qemu & Xen.

Support is not there yet in virt-manager.

What I did so far was creating a new machine with a Fedora Live CD Image and booted it. When I hit the Pause button, it appeared to be pressed, but nothing happened. The machine still responded and the following error appeared on the commandline, where I started virt-manager:

-------------
libvir: QEMU error : operation failed: suspend operation failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/console.py", line 389, in control_vm_pause
    self.vm.suspend()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 365, in suspend
    self.vm.suspend()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 350, in suspend
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainSuspend() failed', dom=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: virDomainSuspend() failed operation failed: suspend operation failed

This is a bug. Do you know what version of libvirt & virt-manager this happens with? Suspend _ought_ to work with QEMU with libvirt >= 0.2.0.

Then when I shut down the machine and clicked on "run", it did not boot the ISO Image I selected while creating the machine, but only complained that it could not boot from HD (which is true, because I did not install anything to the HD)

Then I wanted to delete the machine, but the "Delete" button was still greyed out, even when I shut it down (Imho it should be available all the time and provide a warning that the machine needs to be shut down before it can be deleted). When I closed virt-manager and opened it again, then I was able to delete the machine.

But I cannot find a way to add an iso image to the machine or make it boot the iso image I selected at creation time.

I haven't played with live CDs & virt-manager at all, but I'll have a go. What live CD were you trying?

Also the network selection seems not to work, when I want to add a network interface, I can choose between virtual and shared device, but both only have an empty list, where I have to select something to be able to click on "Forward".

This is another bug. If you get me the version of virt-manager, I'll look into it.

I guess you cannot help here very much, because it seems to me that virt-manager just needs a lot of coding, to become as userfriendly as VirtualBox is.

Rich.