I have tested the patches on a NUMA and a non-NUMA configuration, and they fundamentally appear to work. The first patch is for accessing available memory on a per-node basis.

The second patch is for accessing NUMA node topology. I've gotten some helpful suggestions about my string parsing code, introducing me to sscanf :-). I've become convinced that there are more elegant ways to do this which would have about the same level of error checking. However, I am out of time if Daniel wants to check this in this week. So I offer what I do have, which functions, but is not elegant. I have been playing with other ways to do this and am not far from finished. So, Daniel, you need to tell me if you want to take this code, and possibly upgrade to something more compact later, or if you'd like to wait for the next revision.

One point to comment on for posterity is that the string returned from xend is not what might be expected. An example:

printf("string is %s\n", tempstr);

would return

string is node0:0\n                         node1:1

So, this means that the '\n' sent by the xend python code is somehow translated to "\n". And the trailing '\n' that should be there isn't. Instead there is a '\0'. Looking at the xend code, it would appear this string should look like:

"node0:0\n                         node1:1\n"

where these are '\n'.

--
Elizabeth Kon (Beth)
IBM Linux Technology Center