On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 12:50:25AM -0600, Mark Dehus wrote:
> The documentation on the new storage feature is either a little short,
> or I totally missed it.  Anyway, I am looking for some help on how to
> use it.  If anyone could maybe give me an example xml file that would
> be incredibly helpful, because based on the format description I can't
> exactly figure out what information I am supposed to put where (for
> ISCSI).

The main docs we have are

http://libvirt.org/formatstorage.html
http://libvirt.org/storage.html

They are basically more reference guides that howto/tutorials. Also
look at the 'virsh help' output for 'vol-XXX' and 'pool-XXX' commands.

As a simple example...

  - Create an XML definition for the iSCSI target you want to access,

      # cat > virt.xml <<EOF
      <pool type="iscsi">
        <name>virtimages</name>
        <source>
          <host name="iscsi.example.com"/>
          <device path="demo-target"/>
        </source>
        <target>
          <path>/dev/disk/by-path</path>
        </target>
      </pool>
      EOF

  - Define the pool

     # virsh pool-define virt.xml

  - Activate the pool (this step logs into the server)

     # virsh pool-start virtimages

  - List the LUNs available

     # virsh vol-list virtimages

  - Query info about a LUN

     # virsh vol-info --pool virtimages  lun-3
     # virsh vol-dumpxml --pool virtimages  lun-3

There's many more pool-XXX and vol-XX commands available

Regards,
Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|