I tracked this down, and it's failing the if (cpumaps != NULL && maplen < 1) check in libvirt.c because cpumaps is non-NULL. Which is very strange because I'm definitely passing a NULL value.
The qemud/remote.c helper for the virDomainGetVcpus method is just doing a totally bogus calculation/allocation for the cpumaps field.
It needs fixing somehow, but I'm not sure how yet
Any update on this?

I've had another look at it, and believe I have a suitable fix. There were
two problems.
 - Not allocating a large enough array for the cpumaps field
 - Not respecting a cpumaplen=0, as meaning pass cpumaps=NULL

The latter is what was causing the error message you saw I believe. Can
you try the following patch

+1 (although, i think this is already upstream, sorry for the slow response).

I am seeing a new issue now. After calling virDomainSetSchedulerParameters() on a KVM guest, virDomainGetVcpus()

Oops, the virDomainSetSchedulerParameters() here was a typo.

Anyway, I tracked this issue down to a conflicting install of libvirt on the system. After removing all versions of libvirt and reinstalling, this is no longer any issue.

--
Kaitlin Rupert
IBM Linux Technology Center