On Sat, 2016-06-25 at 00:49 +0000, Zhangbo (Oscar) wrote:
> Here's my situation: I want to use libvirt v1.3.4 as my own git base, the
> steps are:
> 1 Download libvirt v1.3.4 from http://libvirt.org/sources
> 2 add .gitignore inside the code tree
> 3 run "git init" to generate my own git tree
> 4 do some develop work
> 5 FAILED to do make syntax-check
>
> If we want to have our own git repository, what's the right way to do? Is it
> necessary to do "git fork" rather than "git init" to do development work?

Yeah, you'll want to clone the upstream git repository using

  git clone git://libvirt.org/libvirt.git

You'll then be able create your development branch based on
1.3.4 with

  git branch devel v1.3.4
  git checkout devel

Once you've done that, 'make syntax-check' will work.

Please note that, unless you have very specific needs, you
should base your development on the master branch instead
of the 1.3.4 release: among other things, that's a
requirement for having your changes merged upstream.