On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 03:54:29PM +0100, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Daniel P. Berrange:
> > On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 04:04:34PM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> >> Didn't we have a policy of using real names in commit messages?  I
> >> remember someone advocating that (Eric?), so I did that as well.  But to
> >> be honest, I can't find it anywhere in our docs, but it makes sense if
> >> there is a need for anything related to attributions or copyrights.
>
> > I just assumed "intrigeri" is a real name :-)
>
> I have no ID with "intrigeri" written on it, so you may consider it's
> not a "real name".
>
> However, it is a "real name" in the sense that I've been known under
> this name, and only it, in the FOSS community since ~13 years.
> A number of list members have met me at various events such as FOSDEM
> or DebConf. This was enough for me to become a Debian developer as
> "intrigeri" a few years ago; AFAIK the Debian project has granted two
> such exceptions like this in its history, based on good reasons for
> it, that one has to (privately) explain to the Debian accounts
> managers… which was the case for me. This was also enough for many
> people to feel comfortable publicly signing my OpenPGP key, after
> working with me for some time, remotely and in person.
>
> I hope that this background will be enough to allow me to keep
> contributing to the libvirt project using the same identity as the one
> I'm known as, and was able to contribute as, everywhere else in the
> FOSS community so far. If a newly formalized policy prevents me from
> contributing as "intrigeri", then I'll need to have my contributions
> relayed by other people to this project, which will be impractical,
> demotivating, and a waste of time for everybody involved.

I think that fact that you are well known in the FOSS community under
this identity is enough for us to consider this a valid exception to
our general desire for real names. It would be different if someone
were using a psuedonym which has no history of usage in FOSS, as that
would raise questions of trust wrt the contributions.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|