Jim Meyering wrote:
Daniel Veillard wrote:
  Hum, I realize that support of LZOP was added after 0.7.0, so we never
made a release with it (well except for git snapshot which may have been
pushed).
  I wonder if the best is not to just drop the lzop option altogether
and stick xz as a package dependancy until we have found a way to
provide at the API level which compression options are actually
available.

  Opinions ?

Dropping lzop sounds good.  It seems lzop is not very popular.
We don't need that many choices.

lzop may not be popular, but it is distinct -- a minimum of 3x faster than every other compressor offered as an option.

As the decision to use compression at all is offered as a disk space vs performance tradeoff, having an option with minimal performance impact is crucial inasmuch as it makes compression valuable to users for whom the tradeoff otherwise might not have made sense at all.