This patch adds the flag VIR_INTERFACE_XML_INACTIVE to
virInterfaceGetXMLDesc's flags.

What about calling it instead VIR_INTERFACE_XML_CONFIG and adding a
dummy (0) VIR_INTERFACE_XML_DEVICE, and corresponding --config/--device
flags to the virsh command?  This would match the source attribute.

I'll let others override me happily, though.

   Well it's to keep coherent naming with the APIs for other kind of
objects, for example there is an VIR_DOMAIN_XML_INACTIVE in libvirt.h
to dump the inactive domain informations (when a domain is
running/active). Similary 'virsh dumpxml --inactive' is about dumping
the XML for the domain as it was defined.

Then I'm "happily overridden". :-)

   W.r.t. providing accessors for each informations we provide as part of
an xml dump in virsh, I could try to add something generic, for example
as a post processing step based on XPath if people really feel disarmed
by grabbing something from XML output. But was that really the sense
of your query ?

No, "matching the source attribute" was just my rationale for naming the options --config/--device (and the corresponding enum names).

Paolo