On Mon, 2019-09-30 at 13:13 -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 9/30/19 10:05 AM, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > I see your point about backports being more painful when you have
> > a bunch of unrelated changes mixed in, but I would still prefer if
> > we converted everything at once and at the same time introduced a
> > suitable syntax-check rule preventing more instances of whatever
> > function we just removed all callers of from creeping back in, or
> > actually just dropping the function altogether.
>
> Don't forget that make syntax-check doesn't work properly for many
> downstream maintenance branches that would be backported to (it has to
> be disabled due to copyright date checks failing, or something like
> that).

That's a problem for downstream to solve. By the same token, all
the existing syntax-check rules are pointless because they can't be
guaranteed to hold for downstream branches.

> In order to allay Andrea's fears of new usage of VIR_AUTO* that just
> draws out the conversion, maybe we could (temporarily, until the
> conversion is complete) put a commit hook in place to disallow new use
> of VIR_AUTO ? Or just, you know, pay attention in reviews (but of course
> part of the point of all of this is to eliminate the potential for human
> error, by depending less on humans paying attention, so... :-P)

Writing a check that compares the situation before a commit and
after it is not as easy as a point-in-time check. Instead of spending
a non-trival amount of time implementing something like that, I'd
rather spend my time dealing with the fallout of a one-time
conversion.

> (BTW, I'm not firmly in *either* camp, although I may lean a bit more
> towards a gradual change (but with a *very* steep slope to minimize the
> period of confusion)

That's just a big-bang conversion with extra steps!