On 4/29/20 8:11 AM, Sebastian Mitterle wrote:
We should really encourage users to properly quote their command line to
avoid unintentional globbing:

Not sure I understand, is this a request to use '"name[i]"' with
single and double quotes in the manpage?

One or the other, but not both.

Buggy:
# virsh blockpull fedora vda vda[1]

Ok:
# virsh blockpull fedora vda 'vda[1]'
# virsh blockpull fedora vda "vda[1]"
# virsh blockpull fedora vda vda\[1]

the point is that any shell example that can misbehave due to globbing if underquoted should instead be properly quoted.

Please, note that the line you quote is not part of the patch but
sample invocations to demonstrate behavior of blockpull command
regarding mandatory positional arguments to justify v2 of this patch.

If the example is not something you plan on putting in the man page, then that's okay. I was just pointing out that anything mentioned in the man page should also mention the need for proper shell quoting.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226