On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 14:17:40 +0100, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 05:55:38PM +0100, Peter Krempa wrote:
> > In case when a user starts a block copy operation with
> > VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_COPY_SHALLOW and VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_COPY_REUSE_EXT and
> > both the reused image and the original disk have a backing image libvirt
> > specifically does not insert the backing image until after the job is
> > asked to be completed via virBlockJobAbort with
> > VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_JOB_ABORT_PIVOT.
>
> Thanks for the quick patch!
>
> First, to refresh my memory (and for others reading the thread), these
> are the two main uses of combining '--reuse-external' and '--shallow'
> flags with "blockcopy":
>
> (a) You can control what the backing file is, as long as the top of that
>     backing file chain has identical guest-visible contents to what the
>     original chain had in its backing file.
>
> (b) The new backing file can have a _different_ backing chain depth or
>     even different format.
>
>             * * *
>
> Now to construct a reproducer with `virsh`.   Peter, tell me what I got
> wrong :-)
>
> (1) Let's start with this image chain (overlays are always of qcow2
>     format):
>
>         base.raw <-- overlay1 <-- overlay2 (live QEMU).
>
>     With the goal of copying the above into the below chain (note, here
>     we're flattening both base.raw and overlay1 into a single file,
>     "flat-o-b1")
>
>          flat-o-b1.raw  <--  copy (live QEMU)
>
> (2) Make a *raw* variant of "base <-- overlay1", call it "flat-b-o1.raw"
>     (i.e. flattened version of combined base and overlay1):
>
>     $ qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O raw overlay1.qcow2 \
>         flat-b-o1.raw
>
> (3) Then, create an empty QCOW2 file to create "flat-b-o1 <-- copy (empty)":
>
>     $ qemu-img create -f qcow2 \
>         -o backing_file=flat-b-o1.raw,backing_fmt=raw copy.qcow2
>
> (4) *Then* perform the `blockcopy --reuse-external --shallow`:
>
>     $ virsh blockcopy \
>         --domain vm1 vda ./copy.qcow2 \
>         --wait --verbose --reuse-external --shallow \
>         --finish

If you are working on a persistent domain/vm use --transient-job to
avoid the need to undefine it.

Also note that '--finish' is equivalent to aborting the job after it
reaches synchronized phase ...

> (5) And then pivot the job, so that live QEMU now points to copy
>
>     $ virsh blockjob --pivot

... so this will actually say that there is no blockjob, because the
previous step actually cancelled it.

> And the final result, we get the "goal" chain in step (1).
>
>     src:  base <-- overlay1 <-- overlay2
>     dst:    flat-o-b1       <--  copy (live QEMU)
>

> Am I missing anything else?

Now the bug is that when you _cancel_ the job we attempt to blockdev-del
some images which were not blockdev-added, and thus create some spurious
log entries, but the rest of the code behaves correctly.

So you'll only see the failure this is fixing in the logs.