On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 12:56:44 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 05:42:13PM +0200, Peter Krempa wrote:
> > Introduce a new config option 'xml_validator' into the daemon config
> > file which will allow users to make libvirt daemons use a custom XML
> > validator.
> >
> > The rationale is that validators such as 'jing'[1] provide drastically
> > better error specification when compared to the native libxml2 validator
> > we use. A drawback though is that jing is written in Java and thus
> > unusable by libvirt directly and also not a popular package present in
> > distros.
> >
> > For power users and developers it still is worth having this feature to
> > provide better errors in a native way.
>
> I kinda wonder if those users need it integrated in libvirt
> though, as opposed to just calling jing themselves when
> needed. It feels like a fairly narrow set of users benefitting
> here from this change, made even smaller by the fact that those
> users have to remember to reconfigure libvirt to enable this.

Well, it makes it much more convenient when dealing with XML which is
not on disk, such as when doing a 'virsh edit' or editing the XML in
virt-manager's XML edit pane.

That way you don't have to go back to the edit window and copy-out the
XML and then run a validator.

[...]

> > Example script to make this feature work with jing:
> >
> >   #!/bin/bash
> >   java -jar /home/pipo/git/jing-trang/build/jing.jar $1 /dev/stdin 2>&1 ||
> > exit 1
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/relaxng/jing-trang
>
> To me this is only compelling if there's an option we can reasonably
> wire up out of the box.

Well, I unfortunately didn't yet find any validator that I would
consider plugging in by default. Specifically in this case the overhead
of running a JVM is definitely not something I'd want do even if jing
were a widely distributed validator.