On 8/29/23 17:20, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 05:13:08PM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>> The point of calling sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) is to allocate big
>> enough bitmap so that subsequent call to
>> virCommandMassCloseGetFDsDir() can just set the bit instead of
>> expanding memory (this code runs in a forked off child and thus
>> using async-signal-unsafe functions like malloc() is a bit
>> tricky).
>>
>> But on some systems the limit for opened FDs is virtually
>> non-existent (typically macOS Ventura started reporting EINVAL).
>>
>> But with both glibc and musl using malloc() after fork() is safe.
>> And with sufficiently new glib too, as it's using malloc() with
>> newer releases instead of their own allocator.
>>
>> Therefore, pick a sufficiently large value (glibc falls back to
>> 256, [1], so 1024 should be good enough) to fall back to and make
>> the error non-fatal.
>
> That's not suitable for macOS. THey have a constant OPEN_MAX we
> should be using that is way bigger than 1024.

Yeah, it's 2^63-1 per:

https://github.com/eradman/entr/issues/63#issuecomment-776758771

If we really use that it's going to take ages to iterate over all FDs.
OTOH, the next commit switches over to /dev/fd where we can learn about
opened FDs, so it's not that bad. Except we would be allocating
humongous virBitmap (1 EiB). what seems to be the right default then?

Michal