On 01/10/2011 12:44 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 01/10/2011 10:19 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> In QEMU, the card itself is a PCI device, but it requires
>> -device hda-output in order to actually get sound to the host. AIUI this
>> is just HDA configuration and does not require stable addressing, so
>> is not presently represented in the XML.
>>
>> Additionally, qemu supports audio input with '-device hda-duplex', however
>> that provides guests access to the host's microphone, so probably isn't
>> what we want by default.
>
> Is there room for future XML expansion if we do decide to expose the
> choice between -device hda-output vs. -device hda-duplex via the XML?
> The patch looks fine as-is, but I'm a bit hesitant to ack until we've
> thought about a potential upgrade path for the future, in case it
> implies rearranging any of this patch.

I imagined some generic <sound> property like microphone="on|off" or
input="on|off", or a <sound> child element. From an XML perspective I
don't think it should conflict with this patch.

However I realize now that this patch is introducing inconsistent
semantics WRT audio input, since it seems like es1370 and ac97 support a
microphone (though I haven't tested it). So maybe this should use
hda-duplex. Anyone have an opinion?

- Cole