On 20.07.2011 16:25, Eric Blake wrote:
On 07/19/2011 09:01 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
But do we also need to patch src/util/sysinfo.c, which makes callouts to
dmidecode(1)? That is, if libsmbios is arch-specific, then I imagine
that so is dmidecode, and do we gracefully handle dmidecode failures in
that case?

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it:

on x86 architectures with newer kernels, the kernel is starting to
provide various SMBIOS information to user space via sysfs, without
requiring the running of root-only dmidecode. We need to teach libvirt
to try that method, so that qemu:///session can take advantage of
copying host SMBIOS information to the guest.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2011-July/msg00012.html

well, sysfs currently offer much less info than dmidecode. But it still might be worth of expanding it.

Michal