On 08/24/2011 10:56 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
+ VIR_DOMAIN_DESTROY_SNAPSHOTS_FULL = (1<< 2), /* If last use of domain,
+ then also remove any
+ snapshot data */

But I am starting to be convinced by your assertion that this is
dangerous - there is no way to cleanly report partial failure with a
flag like this, which means that in the failure case, it did not add any
convenience, but made things worse.

[perhaps this email is more for my reference than anything else, since I am using the giant thread and all replies in it to track what I still need to do before v4 is ready...]

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-August/msg01355.html

had more arguments on which flags are most appropriate; the consensus there was that snapshot metadata should be automatically deleted on the last reference to a domain (such as shutting down a transient domain), and that only undefine of a persistent domain should fail because snapshot metadata exists (for all other situations, the auto-deletion of metadata is sufficient). Meanwhile, I also need to guarantee that it is possible to reload snapshot state from external sources (i.e. allow a snapshot redefinition to reinstate metadata). My holdup for posting a v4 of this series is getting all that added, but I will keep my git repository up-to-date with the latest state of my series as I keep posting stream-of-development patches as replies into this v3 series.

--
Eric Blake   ebl...@redhat.com    +1-801-349-2682