David,

I have unfortunately missed v2 of this and in the meantime (since after V1) I had been thinking about this a bit.

The problem we're having at the moment is that it's not possible to evaluate fields of packets that may have more than one possible value. This is the general problem, the specific one being allowing multiple MAC or IP addresses. This problem requires us to enable more tables along with jumps to those tables. I think we should solve this in a more general way. What we seem to need for this are tables that are connected to the 'root table' of an interface and tables that are not connected to the 'root table'. So for now we handle arp, rarp, ipv4 and ipv6 from that 'root' table using '-p arp -j <table>' for example to jump to an ARP-specific table for example, the protocol being the decision point here ('-p'). So now maybe what we should do is allow user to define tables with prefixes 'arp', 'ipv4' and 'ipv6' and have all of them connected to the root table and jump into them using '-p'. There could be an arp table, an 'arp-xyz' table and all of them would be connected to that root table -- the question is just in what order. Maybe alphabetical order, with arp and rarp still being always treated after ipv4 and ipv6. Then to realize the other 'loose tables' they could maybe all be required to have a prefix 'ud-' for 'user-defined'. Those would then just be created but not accessed from the 'root table' of an interface but from those connected to an interface's 'root table'. Does this sound reasonable ?

   Stefan