On 09/07/2012 08:06 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 01:29:25PM +0200, Ján Tomko wrote:
On 09/07/12 05:25, Daniel Veillard wrote:

   The problem is that libvirt and qemu releases are a priori not
tied, doing what you suggest would mean to try to guess the actual
qemu version used by the guest and then switch on or off, which would
somehow be at odd with the overall driver configuration.
   This also raises the point of the semantic of -sandbox, the code
assumes that if it is not present then sandboxing is off, and if
it is present sandboxing is on, now what you say seems to imply that
sandboxing is on in 1.3 if not present. If right then we need to instead
do something like -sandbox=off to make sure we propagate the setting
assuming the qemu.conf explicitely states sandbox=0

   So we are I think in a tristate configuration:
    - sandbox=0 in qemu.conf
      and we need to force it off if supported
    - sandbox=1 in qemu.conf
      and we need to force it on if supported
    - commented out in qemu.conf
      fallback to the qemu for that guest default

Yes, this tristate configuration makes sense to me.

Apparently currently -sandbox takes no arguments, any chance to
suport for -sandbox=off before 1.3 ? Because otherwise the global
settings of libvirt qemu driver will conflict with qemu default setting.

Daniel

-sandbox does require an argument, either on or off, so that tri-state
configuration is doable at the moment.

   Ah, excellent !

I don't think having it on by default is a good idea at this time - I
had to add a few syscalls to the whitelist to get it working for me
before posting the patch, but somehow I managed to break it since.

Jan, What syscalls did you have to add?

   We can try to keep commented out then, but we won't get much testing
   then ...

We want all the testing we can get. At the same time, I think we'd also like to have some more assurance that the whitelist is complete before turning it on by default.

The QEMU 1.3 soft feature freeze is on Nov 1st. Should we let this bake for a little bit with default off, and perhaps set a target date of Oct 1st to turn the default on?

--
Regards,
Corey