On 15/04/13 23:28, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Osier Yang <jy...@redhat.com> wrote:
On 15/04/13 23:10, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Osier Yang <jy...@redhat.com> wrote:
On 15/04/13 22:41, harryxiyou wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM, harryxiyou <harryxi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Daniel P. Berrange
<berra...@redhat.com>
wrote:
[...]
I'm not hugely comfortable with the idea of "capability support" being
done by a student. IMHO to do a good job on that design-wise requires
someone with a very good understanding of libvirt architecture &
application
needs.

I understand. However, i think our Libvirt is developing so we should
give more
choices to learners who are very interested in some field of
Libvirt.(Like me, i
love the storage system of Libvirt very much). Maybe this is the
essence
of
GSOC, isn't it? Actually, some student is not only interested in
Libvirt but also
    wanna to join this community and contribute to this community
forever.
(Like
me, i love the community because i can learn more knowledge from it.)
I believe that interest is the best teacher. No matter how the problem
is
difficulty i will try my best to achieve it if  i am very interested
in it. Another
key point is that GSOC just let students join the community and finish
easy
jobs firstly. GSOC wanna train more core developers for our community.
If
can finish a job a bit difficulty, i can also accomplish it after GSOC
continuously.
All in all, i think you should not worry about this matter ;-).

Hi all,

After i read all comments from Danpb, Mprivozn, Osier, i find i should
rephrase my project idea for Libvirt storage during GSOC 2013(Thanks
for Stefan Hajnoczi. He let me know this key point). I find Osier and
Mprivozn agree with the project named 'The capability support for
storage' and Danpb just feel it is a bit difficulty for students to do,
which
i have given my feedback to explain. So i rephrase my project idea for
Libvirt storage during GSOC 2013 like following.

Project name: The capability support for storage driver.

capabilities for the hypervisor drivers, e.g. what pool types it
supports, what volume types each pool type supports, even
may what operations/APIs the pool type support, ...etc).

Sill level: Advanced.

Osier said to me this is a deserved bug to fix so i think he
may wanna be the mentor for this one, right?

I could be if you want, but the question is which project you are
focusing
on? This one or the renaming APIs? And as far as I got from the wiki
page,
we generally don't want the student fails, and the renaming APIs work is
much simpler than this one, and thus more possible to succeed in 12
weeks.

So Personally I'd suggest adding the renaming APIs as a project into the
wiki
instead.
Is that task reasonable for 12 weeks of full-time work?

Yes, It couldn't mean more than 3 months...
I asked because it seems like a very mechanical and relatively short
thing to work on.

If only supports renaming for inactive objects, it is, and that was why
I said I'm not sure if it's deserved. But if supports it for active objects
too, it's not simple anymore.

If you still think the scope is good, then please add the project idea
to the GSoC wiki using this template:
http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2013#Project_idea_template