On 05/15/2013 05:03 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
On 05/14/2013 08:16 PM, Guannan Ren wrote:
"couldn't find interface named"
"couldn't find interface with MAC address"

use generic message as follows
"couldn't find interface with"
If you were going to do this, having "with" at the end sounds awkward;
it would be better to just make it "couldn't find interface '%s'".

However, it doesn't make sense to make the messages in the driver itself
generic, because they are inside functions that are specific to mac
address / name, so it's appropriate for the error message to be specific.

I think I like Dan's suggestion (3) the best - in virsh, before doing
any lookups just try parsing the string into a mac address (with
virMacAddrParse()) - if virMacAddrParse() is successful, you then only
need to try lookupbymac (and can report "couldn't find interface with
MAC address '%s' if the lookup fails), and if virMacAddrParse fails, you
then only need to try lookupbyname.

Once you've done that, you shouldn't need any changes to the libvirtd
log messages at all.

   Get it,  doing generic behaviours in drivers is indeed not a good idea.
   It is the job of upper apps. I will do it still in virsh.