On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:16:08PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
On 07/26/2013 11:47 AM, mrhi...@linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
From: "Michael R. Hines" <mrhi...@us.ibm.com>

QEMU has in tree now planned for 1.6 support for RDMA-based live migration.

Changes to libvirt:
1. QEMU has a new 'setup' phase in their state machine.
2. Expose the 'x-rdma' migration protocol URI.
3. Expose the 'x-rdma-pin-all' capability for pre-registration of memory.
The x- prefix means that the migration is still experimental; do we want
to be codifying the use of experimental API into libvirt, or is it time
for a patch to qemu to remove the x- prefix?  Back in the 1.5 timeframe,
when RDMA was first proposed, the x- prefix made sense, but now that we
are closer to qemu 1.6, and you are trying to get libvirt to drive it,
that's a declaration of stability.
If it is an experimental API & naming, we definitely do not want to
expose that in the libvirt public API. We need to expose a stable
API for libvirt's client apps. If we can't do that until QEMU itself
is stable, then we'll have to wait.

Daniel

Acknowledged. Will work it out with the QEMU community (they are in freeze too, so will wait till next month).

- Michael