On 09/17/2013 02:58 PM, Claudio Bley wrote:
At Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:48:11 +0200,
Wido den Hollander wrote:

On 09/17/2013 01:14 PM, Claudio Bley wrote:
At Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:04:59 +0200,
Wido den Hollander wrote:

On platforms with Java 1.7 it will still produce compatible code
with Java 1.6 platforms

Java 1.6 is still out there and widely used.

AFAIK, the code is 1.5 compliant which would be "least common
denominator". So, there's no need raising the bar to 1.6 actually.

You are correct, I tried to set target and source to 1.5 and that
compiled flawlessly.

The question is, do we (need to) care about 1.5?

As far as I know there are no support distributions which still ship
with 1.5

The platforms which ship with 1.6:
- RHEL 5 and 6
- Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04

RHEL 6 and Ubuntu 12.04 also support 1.7.

But since the code is 1.5 compliant I won't complain if we set target
and source to 1.5. Although I don't think there are any 1.5 users left
who use libvirt-java

Since there're a whole slew of JVM implementations out there I feel a
bit weary bumping it up to 1.6.

On the other hand, it all depends on JNA, which JVMs they support with
their JNI wrapper code. Looking at the ChangeLog of JNA
(https://github.com/twall/jna/blob/master/CHANGES.md#features-1) I see
that they have decided to switch to 1.6 (from 1.4) in version 4.0.

Considering this, I'm all for pulling the plug and go for 1.6 in
libvirt, too.

Cool. Let's keep it with 1.6 then.

So, ACK as is. I'll push your patch shortly (since I guess you don't
have commit access, do you?)...

I don't have commit access indeed, so if you could push it?

We (the CloudStack project) are no only facing the issue that the current 0.5.0 release is Java 1.7 which will break existing setups of users out there.

Wido

Claudio