On 07/16/2014 07:52 PM, Sam Bobroff wrote:
> Hello everyone,

[Can you configure your mailer to wrap long lines?]

> After performing a migration, the syslog often contains several messages like
> this:
>
> "This thread seems to be the async job owner; entering monitor without asking
> for a nested job is dangerous"

The sign of a bug that we need to fix.  What version of libvirt are you
using?  We may have already fixed it.

> The message makes it sound as if the user has done something dangerous but,
> after looking at the code that produces the message, it appears to be more to
> do with how the libvirt job code is used.

Rather, libvirt itself has done something dangerous.

> The commit that added the warning (6eede368bc8e3df2c94c2ec1a913885ce08e99db)
> doesn't explain why it might be dangerous...

Jiri can probably explain better, but it means there is a race condition
where libvirt can lose track of a long-running job and cause memory
corruption in its management of the guest.

> Would it be appropriate to re-word the message, or perhaps change it to a
> debug message so that it's not normally seen by users?

No.

> Is it important to track down the cases that are generating the warning and
> fix them? (Could it cause some kind of significant problem?)

Yes.