> John J Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[...]
> Yes.  If a form contains:
>
>     <select name=sex>
>       <option value=F> Female
>       <option value=M> Male
>       <option value=?> Unknown
>     </select>
>
> Then the values that this field might take becomes "F", "M" and "?",
> while the value names are "Female", "Male" and "Unknown".  With newer
> version of HTML::Form you can use both to modify the values.  The
> statement
[...]

OK.  Did you notice that both the value and the label of OPTION default to
the contents (eg. Female here), according to the HTML 4 spec?  In my
Python module, I decided to allow people to set options 'by label'.  I
guess your scheme doesn't let you use the label (foo) here:

<option value=f label=foo>bar</option>

while my scheme doesn't let you use the element contents (bar) in that
same case.  Hm...

[...]
> No.  It's the same concept as for the select/option shown above.  If
> you have a form containing:
>
>    <input name=sex type=radio value=F> Female
>    <input name=sex type=radio value=M> Male
>    <input name=sex type=radio value=? checked> Unknown
>
> then the values and value names for the sex field will be the same as
> in the previous example and:
>
>    $form->param(sex => "male")
>
> will just work.  That is if you are not surprised by $form->("sex")
> returning "M" even if you just set it to "male".

I see.  That's not a part of the HTML spec IIRC (unlike the case of
OPTION), but I guess it could be useful.  Of course, there can also be
explicit LABEL elements, but I suspect people rarely use them, so probably
not very useful.

John