Doug Thayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The following test program crashes on the second request with option -b with
> the error message given in comments at the end of the program.

I'm not able to reproduce this with your sample program using
libwww-perl-5.76.

> HTTP::Cookies::Netscape apparently cannot handle File:// urls.  I worked
> around this error by adding code in my app to recognize this situation and
> to temporarily unset the cookie jar.  This is with perl-5.8.1,
> libwww-perl-5.76.

Are you sure v5.76 is used?  There was a fix for this problem that
went in at v5.72.  Quoting http://search.cpan.org/src/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.76/Changes:

    Requests for some non-HTTP URLs would fail if the cookie_jar
    was enabled.  The HTTP::Cookies::add_cookie_header now ignore
    non-HTTP requests.

Regards,
Gisle