i have never used cygwin so this might be a stab in the dark, but it sounds a bit like the same problem originally on mac os x where LWP tried to install the LWP HEAD over the system HEAD in the exact same location [i think this was solved by renaming or moving the system HEAD]

are you sure you don't have a system HEAD in C:/cygwin/usr/bin/ or there about ?

./allan

Matthew Evett wrote:
I have experienced problems trying to get an error-free installation of libwww v5.7.6 when using Cygwin v1.5.9 (both the most recent Release versions). I first installed the prerequisite modules. The creation of libwww's Makefile went smoothly. In that process I indicated that I did want to create the GET, POST and HEAD aliases Execution of the make itself however, ended in this error message:

$ make install
Cannot forceunlink /usr/bin/HEAD: No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/File/Find.pm line 888
make: *** [pure_site_install] Error 255

Now, Cygwin is a bit weird, because usually a pathname starting with "/usr/lib" actually refers to the DOS directory "C:/cygwin/lib", assuming cygwin was installed at the top of the C: drive. Consequently, I would expect there to be files in C:/cygwin/bin/, and, indeed, GET is there. (So make got that far.)

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks, Matt Evett