I think it may be a very good idea. In fact, some states are developing free
software...especially state-run universities. It's fairly well-known that
the contributions of the Univeristy of Illinois and UC-Berkeley are
significant in regards to  Internet software.

States, of course, will not give away all (or even most) of their
intellectual property, but I think some have made significant contributions
as a result of the software development projects at universities, which
often are sponsored by Federal grants.

Rod