> From: Ryan S. Dancey [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> If I write a copyleft free program for Windows, I should be able to load
> and
> link at runtime to any DLL in the system, regardless of whether or not
> that
> DLL is free code or not, shouldn't I?  How else could a Windows program
> ever

        [DJW:]  My understanding is that the restrictions only apply
        to the distribution of code. They are designed to stop people
        distributing code which forces the recipient to have to pay
        for a licence to use a pre-requisite library (static or dynamic).

        If that is correct, you can write a program that is derived
        from copylefted code and load it and link it with any DLL you
        like, but you cannot give it to someone else if they cannot
        sensibly use it without first obtaining that DLL.

        The real borderline case is when you supply a token version of
        the library.  I seem to remember that this hinges on whether the
        full function of the copylefted code is accessible with that
        token library.

        IANAL
[DJW:]