To OSI License Discussion subscribers,

From: Mahesh T Pai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
From: Lawrence E. Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

Almost every country specifies that suits for damages should be brought at the place of residence / business of the defendant. You can rarely contract out of that.
That is exactly what I want to contract out of, and I can in many jurisdictions. Licensors shouldn't be burdened by having to go to courts all over the world where their licensees happen to be. Licensees have the choice of licensors, not the other way around, in open source software situations.
My question is, have those clauses that specify the jurisdiction in which all legal matters are handled for a particular package ever been upheld? Have they ever needed to be? Once again we come back to the value of case law.

Cheers, Nathan.