The CPOL 1.02 license was discussed on this list in 2009. [1, and see
attached.) As far as I can tell from reading my old emails and reviewing the
OSI license list, it was never approved by OSI. Richard Fontana said this
about it on 10/5/2009:

This license recently came to our attention at Red Hat. The CPOL fails to
meet the Open Source Definition (and Free Software Definition) in numerous
ways. I've already been in contact with people at codeproject.com about
this.

Yet Black Duck reports that this is the 8th most popular open source
license. [1]

Popularity isn't all that matters!

/Larry

[1] http://www.codeproject.com/info/cpol10.aspx

[2] http://osrc.blackducksoftware.com/data/licenses/

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

Cell: 707-478-8932

--- Begin Message ---
Hi all:

This is my first post to this particular discussion group - please be gentle
and refer me to a FAQ if I egregiously violated any list rules.

My question is regarding the Code Project Open License
(http://www.codeproject.com/info/cpol10.aspx) and whether or not anyone has
done a "rigorous" analysis of it - I did notice that it isn't an
OSI-approved open source license, but the fact is that it does cover quite a
variety of useful C# and .NET projects on the Code Project website and I'd
be interested to learn other's opinions on any gotchas and/or loopholes in
this license.

Best regards,

Joe

This message is confidential to Prodea Systems, Inc unless otherwise
indicated

or apparent from its nature. This message is directed to the intended
recipient

only, who may be readily determined by the sender of this message and its

contents. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an

employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended

recipient:(a)any dissemination or copying of this message is strictly

prohibited; and(b)immediately notify the sender by return message and
destroy

any copies of this message in any form(electronic, paper or otherwise) that
you

have.The delivery of this message and its information is neither intended to
be

nor constitutes a disclosure or waiver of any trade secrets, intellectual

property, attorney work product, or attorney-client communications. The

authority of the individual sending this message to legally bind Prodea
Systems

is neither apparent nor implied,and must be independently verified.

--- End Message ---