Thanks Till, this was a very useful summary of the situation in Europe!

I believe you've begged the question, however, by saying this:

> Apparently, a computer program which is _not_ derived from
> GPL code has nonetheless to be licensed under the GPLv2 when
> the original GPL code and the program are not distributed
> "as separate works".

I'll take as your premise that we're talking about distributing "a computer
program which is _not_ derived from GPL code." That simplifies our analysis.

Certainly in most of the collective works or compilations distributed by
software companies under a variety of copyleft and non-copyleft licenses, the
most interesting and useful parts of those applications software are NOT
derived from GPL code. Those larger applications, comprised of many FOSS and
non-FOSS components, evidence a great deal of independent creativity and
development effort. Although we know that creativity and effort alone does not
determine the copyright status of those applications, we can say that the
reward system in software development is tied to such independent creative
development efforts.

It will take more than wishful thinking and static linking to subject those
independent creative works to the GPL and thereby to reduce the rewards
available to their authors.

Does the distribution of a GPL-licensed work along with those "separate works"
convert them into something "not separate" in the copyright sense? Does a
staple or a paper clip or a book binding convert separate works to something
not separate in the copyright sense?

You refer to a "binary blob." That is an interesting phrase which has no
analogue in copyright law. How would a European lawyer define such a thing in a
FOSS license so that, as long as even one blob-ette within it is GPL, binary
blobs as a whole subject are to the GPL?

You concluded that "the situation is far from being clear." Maybe I'm being
naive, but it is clear to me that the law in the US and Europe favors the free
interoperability of legitimately acquired software and disfavors claims of
infringement by mere linking.

Best regards, and thanks again for stepping into this minefield. I'd much
rather hear your thoughtful views and those of our colleagues than ambiguous
threats of infringement from GPL enforcers without any legal analysis behind
them.

/Larry