> What I don't understand is, I have a version of QT higher than the one
> listed..

Figured it out..

Even if one has qt2 stuff installed, if qt3 is also installed, the
system seems to crap itself and complain about version.

Debian packages that seem to satisfy the qt requirements and allow
compilation:

$ dpkg --get-selections | grep qt
libqt-dev                                       install
libqt2                                          install
libqt2-mt                                       install

This combination works on three Debian 'sid' machines I run

ADFH