* Lourens Veen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [30-01-2003 01:46]:
> I've been trying to get my PC to be a bit more quiet at night, and
> I'd like to let my disks spin down as they're not being used anyway
> (aside from the odd request on my webserver). With a bit of
> tweaking I now have this working nicely, however, it won't work
> with LICQ running. It seems that licq keeps the files in
> ~/.licq/users/ continuously up-to-date, which is annoying, because
> it makes my disk spin up all the time so that it can save the data.
>
> Now I don't care much whether the content of these files is
> completely up-to-date, so I'm wondering if there is a relatively
> easy (ie I'll comment out parts of the code, but I'm not going to
> rewrite whole parts of it :-)) way to disable this feature. I've
> grepped around the source for a bit and tried a few things, but I
> haven't been able to get it to work the way I want it to. I
> couldn't find anything in the archives either, so I hope there's
> someone here who can help me.

I also noted similar behaviour from about a week ago until now. I had
changed all my contact's aliases to show their name instead, and licq
was acting nicely with them.
But from a week ago's snapshot, as soon as I connected, it updated all
my contacts with info from server, therefore destroying all I have done
to show their names.
And I don't even know if it's safe to do it again, or if it will just
overwrite them again.
However, I'm not noticing harsh disk activity, but I'm in a somewhat
noisy room. I'll look into it also.

--
Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora          | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ UIN: 1406477