--- "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       ./configure --enable-debug
>
> This helped: gdb then did know the line numbers for crashes.  Anybody
> know how to display, for example, sz or szId when at a breakpoint in
> the above code?  "print sz" failed because gdb claimed no to know the
> variable (but "print i" worked).  I wonder if the -O2 flag caused
> variable info to be washed away.

My guess is that -O2 is good enough but sz has not been initialized so
the compiler doesn't generate debug info for it and gdb doesn't get to
see it. I may be wrong.

I vaguely recall coming across some mention of a difference between NULL
and NUL; thanks to your email I think I have finally managed to get a
grip on the answer.

Rico.