Ok. To clarify it is an after hours project.

I vaguely remember a thread on the list in the distant past about a
merged parser... might look into that.

The main problem is I started with the perl version and started to
translate that. In hindsight I might stop and attack the Textile
parser in Lift...

I'll take it you would rather a sane implementation rather than a
fully output compatible version?

I have been thinking of allowing the mapping to XML to be customised
(eg say use <lift:a/> instead of <a/>). That would allow you to
massage the result to your hearts content - eg. add class based on
href as per your example.

No promises, but will put a few other projects on hold and bring this
up to the fore.

Marc